Back to the Long Time Line, 1745
[For full size pictures, click on schematic numbers or on thumbnails.]
1. The sally port door from just outside the curtain wall. In recent centuries this door and the stair below have given access for gunners and watchmen, between the steel battery above the southern harbor and the brick barracks, called Mosdale Hall (built on the old King's Chambers) and the master gunner's house inside the castle walls.
2. The sally port stairs, leading down to the "steel battery" gun emplacement above the harbor. The battery was built in 1643-57, but the sally port door and fortified stair were probably not built until 1745, at the time of the Jacobite Rebellion.
Top Main Page